Sep 16, 2010

Lady Gaga's little Chinese monsters

I didn’t watch the VMAs but saw plenty of pictures from the show to know that Lady Gaga has once again put herself in the spotlight. And the dress? Gross. But I’m not here to talk about Lady Gaga’s choice of costume.
 
Much like in the US, Lady Gaga’s popularity in China has and continues to explode. And to think when I used to hear that Just Dance song I was sure she was just another one-hit-wonder. Anytime I go out to any sort of bar or club, which is about once a week for those curious about my social life, Lady Gaga is always, always, always a crowd pleaser.
 
I also live down the street from a few weird clubs, and on an almost nightly occasion, usually about 11:30 pm, here comes Gaga. It’s not so loud that it disturbs me, but I can definitely tell it’s her. It’s usually Bad Romance or Paparazzi blasting through the speakers and carrying down the street – you’d think they’d get with the times and play something a little more current but I guess they think if it ain’t broke don’t change it.
 
Just the other day, before Eva finally moved out off of my couch, she was telling me about Chinese people’s impressions of the Fame Monster. She said they thought she was “kind of like a monster” but that she liked her because of her creativity. And then she told me that all the cool kids have a new saying. The old, outdated and overused “Oh my god” has been replaced with “Oh my Lady Gaga”. I started busting out laughing. I thought it was pretty funny. Only in China.
 
So I googled it and found some articles about the expression. Nothing was very concrete, but I did see one commenter giving a bit more of insight:
 
A possible other reason, is "Lady" sounds like "Lei"(character "雷") meaning being surprised or shocked. Originally "雷" carries a very slight negative meaning since it describes sth not very common. But nowadays it is used everywhere and become neutral. The pronunciation "Gaga" is also used in virtually every language. In particular, in Northeastern Chinese dialect (辽宁方言)it is a modal particle, meaning "very very much". Usually it carries a positive meaning and used as an agreement. e.g, if someone likes the food, they could say "gaga xiang (香, delicious)".


Therefore, "Oh my Lady Gaga" usually is a cute way of saying "this is funny (in the good case)/or/ this is odd(in the bad case), I am so surprised".

 
So there you go, straight from a native speaker’s hands typing on his keyboard. I don’t know if the phrase will take off at home, but one thing is for sure: Lady Gaga’s got quite a population of little monsters growing over in China!

No comments: