Sep 24, 2010

Fall is on the way! Yay!

It’s started! The weather is cooling down and there’s a slight crisp in the air. Fall is one of my favorite seasons in China... It’s really one of about two good times of the year for weather in China. Summer is blisteringly hot and the winter is damp and cold. There’s about four weeks in fall and in spring (although we missed out on spring this year) when the skies are blue and the temperature is just cool enough to really enjoy the outdoors.

While I love this weather, some people think its too cool. I got a message from a Chinese friend just the other day saying “The weather is starting to change and get cold so take care!” Take care? This is the best weather we’ve had in a while! I told her that this was my favorite time of year to which she responded, “Really? When I was riding my bike I was cold!” Chilly? Maybe, but cold? Come on!

She’s not the only one. One my Thursday/Friday weekend, I took advantage of the cooler weather and rode my bike around some of my favorite parts of Shanghai. As I rode I saw some outdoor vendors were already selling scarfs! Keep in mind it’s like in the mid 60’s. Where I come from 60 degree weather doesn’t warrant a scarf! I was especially shocked to see some of these vendors wearing semi-heavy coats (not quite “winter coats” but they seemed a little too warm for the weather). To put it in perspective I was in shorts, T-shirt and a little light weight jacket.

I thought it was a Chinese thing, but then this afternoon I went to a little coffee shop to spend a little time studying Chinese and there was a group of foreigners some of whom were wearing fleece jackets and scarfs! In 60-degree weather! Again, I was in shorts and had brought along a long-sleeve shirt because it was a little windy! Maybe it’s just me wanting to get one last use of my warm weather clothes, but I thought fleece jackets and scarfs were a little unnecessary.

One a side note, it’s amazing what a little two-day break from any work (no editing, no freelancing and no teaching) and some fantastic weather will do! I’ve been having a some frequent “China Days” but this weather and this break where I actually had time to do things I wanted to do, like bike ride, get a pedicure, go running and spend some time studying Chinese, have put in me in such a better mood! Yay for fall and for not overworking!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's a cool and breezy 93 degrees here today. Yay fall?