Jul 29, 2010

What I like about you: straight talking

I should probably clarify what I mean. No, they’re not too open about “alternative lifestyles” or what they really think of the government. But when it comes to finances or well-being, they’re very blunt.

I used to be caught off guard when Chinese people used to ask me how much I earn, and now I alarm my friends when I ask them how much they make (sorry if I’ve ever made you feel uncomfortable). As awkward as I feel telling Chinese coworkers or friends how much I make because of the huge salary disparities, I am always inquisitive about what other foreigners are earning in China. If anything, it lets me know where I am in the scheme of things and how much more I could potentially earn.

Chinese people are always curious about how much you paid for something – be it your new knock-off handbag or the cost of your rent. At first, I didn’t really like being that open. I mean, I don’t want these people to think I’m overly privileged. But as time’s gone on, I’ve found myself inquisitive about how much people are paying for things and I’ve lost my shame in asking. In fact, when I found out a friend was paying 150+ more for her apartment that’s in the same building is the same size as mine, I felt pretty good about my bargaining skills.

I have also come to appreciate their honesty when it comes to how people look. When coworkers or friends see old pictures of me they will say “Oh you’ve lost your baby fat” or “You’re much thinner now” whereas my mom would just say, “You’ve always looked good.” And if I ever do get a little pudgy, I’m sure they’d let me know that “Oh you’ve gained weight, you should just eat fruit.” While some could argue this behevaior could trigger eating disorders in some, I think it’s good that people aren’t afraid to be honest.

On the flipside, I almost lost it one time a coworker commented on my skin. For whatever reason, I was going through a 6-month phase where my skin was going crazy and was completely broken out. She said something along the lines of “what is wrong with your face?” and told me I should “stop eating spicy food.” To which I quickly told her that she shouldn’t say things like that – not to Chinese people and especially not to foreigners. And I let her know that spicy foods did not actually cause breakouts. It felt good to dispel that ridiculous idea to at least one Chinese person.

1 comment:

M J said...

do you get asked this constantly or daily? I wouldn't be able to tolerate that sort of behavior/etiquette in china. People got to change and be nicer and stop thinking money rule the world. I always try to avoid making friends with chinese people from any parts of Asia. they're so boring, think all the same things, lack of original thinking etc....(FYI, i'm chinese myself but grew up most of my life in .....)