Jan 20, 2011

Lucky, Lucky Draw

Overall I would say I’m a lucky person. Yeah, I have great family and friends, have a stable job, like my stable job, etc.. But I mean I am abnormally, randomly lucky. When I was like 6 I won a $50 gift card to K Mart because I guessed the right number of legos in the display. I’ve won free bottles of wine from a Shanghai-based website. I was even on Wheel of Fortune and made out pretty good. Now I can add the winner of an iPad at the company’s Chinese New Year party to my lucky streak list.
 
Yes, that’s right. I won an iPad. At the company Chinese New Year’s party no less. I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it seems how I don’t have wifi in my apartment, but now I have an iPad.
 
This New Year’s party has been the talk of the office almost ever since I got back. Everyone was talking about the iPad that would be the top prize of the office “lucky draw,” and everyone wanted it (Chinese people LOVE apple products). While I love my MacBook and my iPhone, I saw little need for an iPad, but still tried to get in the excited spirit of the office. I even said half jokingly “If I win it, I’d probably sell it,”

So Friday night comes around and we have our Chinese New Year party (which is worth a separate blog post in itself) and the lucky draw. They get rid of the cheap prizes - the towels, bath soaps, gift cards, phone cards - and we get to the good stuff - the coffee maker, the video cameras, the iPods and finally the coveted iPad. My number remains undrawn and my fellow foreign coworker looks at me and says “I bet your going to win it.”

Well as my obvious luck would have it, my number was drawn. Honestly I felt kind of guilty about it because, well, what am I going to do with an iPad? I also felt guilty because I’m the foreigner and one of the newest staff and I shouldn’t be winning the coveted iPad. I couldn’t tell if the Chinese reporters were annoyed that the “laowai” got the iPad, but seems as how all of them either have one or could get mom and dad to buy them one, I wasn’t too worried.

So now I have an iPad. If you have any suggestions on what to do with said iPad I’m all ears. Any cool apps I should try? Do they have scoops for the iPad? Anything that will help me with my Chinese? Oh and can someone get an wireless router? That would also be helpful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SO LUCKY! I have one (alas, I did not win mine) and I <3 it. It will be slightly annoying if you don't have wifi, but even so, you can take it somewhere that DOES have wifi! Then you can download books to read (which I like), get magazine subscriptions on it, i LOVE the NPR and PBS apps (dork, I know), download movies on itunes & watch them later... watch hulu plus on it (if you subscribe) or netflix, it's pretty much endless and amazing. Congrats! Oh, and you'll LOVE it for when you fly back to the US of A. :)