May 11, 2010

Why I like the Expo (Part 2)

In the last post, I ranted on why the Expo is good for China because China is so “misunderstood” (sounds kinda like a high schooler, no?). So today, I thought I would share why the Expo is good for Chinese people. Because just as people in the West may not get China, the Chinese certainly don’t get the rest of the world.

My boyfriend has a theory that if the U.S. and China ever get in a war (which believe it or not, some college-educated people are convinced there’s going to be some massive WW III kind of war between the U.S. and China soon) that the U.S. only needs two teams of people. First, send in the “blonde brigade” where heaps and heaps of blonde haired, blue eyed men and women (preferably Pamela Anderson types) parachute in, distracting and awing the Chinese. Then you send in the big, tough guys with guns. Problem Solved.

My point in that kind of silly anecdote is that, generally speaking, the Chinese probably have the most narrow-minded idea of America, and the rest of the world, of any other people in the world. I cannot recall the number of times I’ve had a conversation with a black friend, Chinese friend or any other person who isn’t caucasian where a Chinese person has almost refused to believe that they are from America. The common response is, “You can’t be American, you don’t have blonde hair.”

You can’t really blame them - all that makes it to China from American pop culture is Sex and City, Prison Break and the leftover bad pop music that doesn’t make the cut at home. But I hope the Expo is a good way for Chinese people to see countries, not just the U.S., in a new way and is a start to ending their misperceptions of the rest of the world.

I am also excited for Chinese people who get to go to the Expo because the majority of Chinese people will never be able to leave their country. One of the things I have come to appreciate and love is my blue passport with that gold eagle. It is so hard for the Chinese to get visas to Western countries, especially the U.S.. It’s also incredibly expensive. In 2006, the World Bank reported that the average annual salary in China was just more than $2,000. To put into perspective, a round trip ticket to the U.S. costs about that much (maybe $1,000 if you get a good deal). So no, your average Chinese person or family is not in the position to afford a trip aboard unless they save for a long, long time.

With the Expo, Chinese people are able to at least get a glimpse into the outside world. They can see traditional clothes from Europe and South America, they get to see Mexican art and they get to try foods from places they may have not known even existed. And for all the hype in China that’s been surrounding the event, I say let them be excited to see life and cultures from so many other countries. I remember how I felt when I finished the “Around the World” beer challenge at my favorite bar in Gainesville. I had tried beer from 30 different countries - I was proud, accomplished and cultured (and no this was not in one sitting)! So I really can’t roll my eyes when I see all these excited and curious people anxious to see as many countries as they can.

So, for the sake of the Chinese, and the sake of any American not of white skin and blonde hair, I hope that the Expo helps Chinese people understand the world and the people that live in it a little more. Hopefully after seeing the U.S. Pavilion and the many diverse faces that make up the country, they won’t be so quick to disagree with my Asian-looking friend when they say they’re American because they’re not a member of the blonde brigade.

No comments: