May 10, 2010

Why I like the Expo (part 1)

I realize that the last post may have been a bit negative toward the Expo. And I do have other qualms with the “greenest world’s fair in history.” Taking into account the construction, noise pollution and transit to, from and through the city, it’s not all that green. But rather than continue to dig at China’s shining moment, which is finding itself short on visitors, I thought I would highlight some of the reasons why I think this Expo is good for China and for Chinese people.

As I continue living over here, reading foreign articles (and comments that people post on those articles), China is undoubtedly one of the most misunderstood places on Earth. Unless someone is living here or has abundant resources to know the way and life of China and its people, it’s hard to really understand what the landscape is like over here - politically, socially, economically, anyway really. Which is why I think its a good thing that China is hosting this Expo. I think giving a reason to foreigners to come see this Expo and essentially their country is a great opportunity for China.

While I don’t know just how many people will make the trek to China just to see an Expo, I can only hope that those who come to China, see the Expo and the Chinese Pavilion (with all the other pavilions of Chinese cities) and leave with a newer perspective of China. China’s an old place with a lot of history, and I think it is important for visitors of the expo to see that. And they do at the China Pavilion, albeit in the way the government wants it to be seen. But, at least they’re here, living in the culture and learning about the country from a first-hand experience.

Personally, I think where America will have the toughest time in the next 50 years with Sino-American relations is the lack of misunderstanding of China. Americans don’t understand, I would say the majority of the government gets it wrong and the media just misses the mark. And I’ll be the first one to say that foreign media beats Chinese media on all levels, but there are still sometimes when I think news in China is painted in an unnecessarily negative light, and it’s quick to report any negative news in China yet fails to recognize the stories of opportunity and progress. I won’t deny that China has its faults - but what country or group of people doesn't?

I guess it kind of hit me tonight when I was at an event pertaining to the Expo. It was an event where a Swedish troupe of dancers and musicians were performing side-by-side with Chinese dancers. Initially, I was impressed and thought the event was a nice way to celebrate Swedish and Chinese relations, but I realized that my reactions didn’t scrape the surface for what this meant to other people. As I listened to another say how he was almost moved to tears seeing the merging of Swedish and Chinese culture, I realized that this is the kinds of positive collaborations and culture exchanges that make Expo a worthwhile venture. Sharing culture and experiences, like dance and music, is how to learn and appreciate another country - like China. Granted, it takes a lot more than song and dance to qualm political, economical and social issues, but at least its a first start to opening up and learning more about the other.

I doubt any NYAFC readers have been reading any Expo news, editorials or blogs, but for my own satisfaction, I wanted to share with you all one reason why I think the Expo is good for China and for foreigners who want to know China in a deeper way and hope that through Expo China becomes a little less misunderstood.

No comments: