May 16, 2010

Mucosolvan – country or cough syrup?

So I realize that I’ve been making maybe too serious of postings. So I decided to lighten the mood with a random China story.

So there I was. This morning before work I decided to see about getting some medicine to cure this on going cough that’s left me with a raspy voice for the past three days. Although the 80s themed roller skating party I went to Friday night probably didn’t help – only in China would they allow copious amounts of alcohol, roller skates and a bunch of rowdy foreigners looking to party during the weekend to all merge. Luckily, I survived. But my throat didn’t.

So anyway I’m in the drug store telling the who I assume was the pharmacist (or closest thing to it in China) my symptoms: coughing, sneezing, sore throat, the basics. She then decides that I need about four different medicines. Nope, I don’t think so. I decide on the one that seems to be the equivalent of Tylenol Cold and Sinus and this cough syrup.

As I was looking at the name of the syrup, I couldn’t help but laugh at the name of it – Mucosolvan. Maybe it was the drowsiness kicking in but as the day wore on Mucosolvan sounded like more of a Eastern European country than a cough medicine. Luckily, I could tell from the name that this stuff would cure my sickness with brute force.

Although the “brute force” of Mucosolvan and the other meds were not the best choice for 10 am. I mean, I asked the pseudo-pharmacist if they were going to make me want to go sleep (keep in mind this is in my very minimal Chinese), and she quickly knew what I meant and assured me they wouldn’t. Well, she was wrong.

About an hour into the work day it was all I could do to keep from passing out at the computer. And it didn’t help that I had to edit the most awful articles for a supplement today. Straight Chinese to English translations that not only required my attention to rewrite them but were incredibly unexciting. Of course it would happen the day I was drugged up on Chinese meds.

No comments: