Aug 7, 2009

One week down...

After finishing my first week as a paid, working member of society, I thought I would just say that it has gone very well! My lack of posting this week is partly due to the cold I came down with this week. But two weeks after being in China, I think my body is all adjusted.


Everything has gone really well, and I’m glad to have a “day job.” Well... Maybe not glad to have a day job, but glad that I like my day job. Everyone at the office is really nice and very happy to have a blond American girl at the office. I’m pretty popular...not to be modest or anything. I get along well with my boss, and my colleague, Cheryl, is super sweet. Granted it has only been week one, but I’m excited to put all my superb (ha!) skills to use. I was really excited when some of the students of one of the schools where Ameson's programs are implemented wanted me to give them English names. One girl already had "Viki" picked out and just wanted approval. The other girl asked me if I knew any names that started with the letter "X"....yes...X. I thought for a minute and told her there wouldn't be a good name with X (unless she maybe wanted to be the next X-tina...nope). So I threw out some suggestions of names that have a similar sound to to her Chinese name. Xia. She settled on Charlotte.


Over the week, I’ve ventured out with my Chinese colleagues and enjoyed some of the local restaurants for lunch. I’ve certainly had my fill of lunches averaging about $1... I love cheap China... Although I’ll be honest and say I’m really not sure entirely what I’m eating when it comes to the meat. I’m told it is pork and it tastes like pork, but I still don’t know how much I trust the "pork." I think I’m going to go veggie to be on the safe side.


The weekend is looking really low-key. My one American friend is busy with orientation for teachers at the school where she works. Apparently the majority of Nanjing’s expats are teachers, and most of them are gone for the summer but should be returning and arriving in the next few weeks. Hopefully this will be the last weekend I just hang out at home because I don’t really know anyone else. And I’m still holding out for a roommate in my apartment.


Be sure to check back this weekend for more posts and the pictures I keep promising. I haven’t really felt like sprucing up the apt or doing much exploring around the neighborhood due to this stupid cold that took all my energy this week. That’s on tap for Saturday, after waking up as late as possible, of course.


No comments: