Feb 23, 2011

Lamien Love: Dating plunders

I realized that I haven’t posted a Lamein Love in a while and now that I’m a single gal again I should probably reinstate the series. People who date in China always seem to have funny stories, and while I’m not too sure I’m ready to go and get myself attached again, I hope to at least get some entertaining stories from it.

China’s most recent census (completed in November) revealed that there are in upwards of 23 million people living in Shanghai. That’s a lot of people. And while the foreign population probably accounts for a small, small percentage of that (less than 1 percent), you would still think that in a city of 23 million people there would be plenty of people to court/date/meet/etc. Well I thought that at least until a most unfortunate blunder.

On a lark, I made a profile on a dating site that is part of Shanghai’s best online entertainment guide. I mostly did it to see what desperate guys had written and how foreign-seeking Chinese women were trying to win over a potential green card holder. But then I came across this rather witty profile. From their book, music and reading tastes I thought “Hmmm… this person is interesting. I will send them a message.”

I did, and we exchanged some funny messages back and forth about our experiences in China and aboard, what we do here, future plans in China and the other “get to know you stuff”. By about the third or fourth message, I realized that this person sounded eerily similar to my former boss from when I was in intern in Shanghai back in the day. After a little “investigating,” I was 99.9 percent sure it was him so I signed the next message with “-MK”.

Sure enough about 12 hours later I got the awkward response of “Is this (insert my name)?” and luckily he was “quite amused” while I was, in a word, mortified. The worst part is he is a reference on my resume! What’s going to happen when someone calls him up and asks about me as a potential job candidate? “Yes, she’s a hard worker and may even approach you on a dating site”? Oh no.

Needless to say, I deleted the profile, apologized profusely and am resigning myself to meet guys the old fashioned way, in person, where I know they’re not someone I shouldn’t be approaching.

No comments: