Jun 25, 2010

Lamien Love: Material Girls

If the stereotypical Shanghainese girl had a theme song, there’s only one song that accurately captures it. And it’s loud in clear in the chorus: “We are living in a material world, and I am a material girl.” 

I stumbled upon this LA Times article and couldn’t help but think about how accurate it was – Well at least in Shanghai (and probably Beijing). I’m amazed at how materialistic some of these people in Shanghai are. I never saw it like this in Nanjing.

Shanghai's changed a lot and the love of high-end goods is a little out of control. What used to be my favorite Japanese noodle restaurant is now Tiffany’s. And where a street of random Shanghai shops once stood Hermes will soon take its place. The two blocks I walk from the metro station to my office I pass Coach, Cartier and Louis Vuitton, the bane of my existence. 

It’s like urban sprawl; only the sprawl is donned with hefty price tags.
   
And I feel bad for these Chinese guys, I really do. Some of these women’s expectations are just plain unrealistic. Prior to the move to Shanghai, I remember a coworker saying that he couldn’t live in Shanghai. “Why?” I wondered. “Because in Shanghai women won’t date you unless you have a car,” was his response.  
This isn’t the first article I’ve come across that shares this same idea. Women will waste a good half of their monthly salary just to carry around a designer label. A ball-park average salary for a woman in her mid 20’s in Shanghai is about 5,000 RMB. A handbag at one of these stores is at least 3,000 RMB. You can do the math. Granted, they probably live at home so they don’t have quite as many expenses, but still. You could have saved that 3000+ for a down payment. But oh wait, that’s the guy’s responsibility.  

With this kind of attitude it’s no wonder why guys are so desperate. And having to go to mom and dad for the money? I can already see the looks on my parents faces if I (or my brother) were to ask for large sums of money to put a down payment on a house just so a guy (or in my brother’s case girl) would marry him. My parents love me, but shelling out that kind of cash isn’t love... it's stupid. 

As it did a few short years ago in the US, I’m sure the housing bubble will burst in Shanghai. And when it does, maybe then these young guys can finally afford the homes of their dreams (with the dream girl inside). Until then, I wish all you Chinese out there looking to marry the best of luck. Guys – good luck finding a girl who is not just looking for a roof over her head. And girls – the only thing I can say to you is good luck (and keep dreaming)! 

No comments: