Jun 27, 2010

The China I know (and love?)

Oh the Expo. The love-loathe relationship continues, but I just had to share something with you all. I stumbled up on this gem while searching the latest in Expo news. These people will do just about anything to not wait in line! Forget the traditional cutting in line. They are faking being handicapped! That just takes it to a whole new level.

Pushing, bumping and even shoving are almost everyday occurrences here. And while the Shanghainese are much more polite, considerate and aware that this doesn’t fly in the modern world, some of the “country bumpkins,” as a Hong Kong coworker called them, have some bad habits. It’s funny though because once you kind of push and fight back, they realize what they’re doing and stop.

But then, just this morning on my way to work, I saw some guy physically move this girl out of his way to get off the metro. The metro hadn't even arrived at the destination. She just kind of looked down and let this guy move her out of his way. I was a bit shocked and if I could have said something I would have.

It hasn’t just been how they try to skip lines that has been in the news but they way they act in the pavilions and treat the exhibits is also newsworthy. I was a bit amused when editing a story the other day about how exhibits are being ruined because the Chinese visitors aren’t paying attention to the “Don’t Touch” signs. They insist on touching, feeling and “exploring the items further.” They ignore fences or ropes that keep them at a distance from some of the fragile pavilions. Pavilions are even having to replace items on exhibit because the Chinese, and their love for napping any place possible, have almost destroyed some of the seating and lounging areas of the pavilion. Some how I’m not surprised.

Forget all the fancy restaurants. Forget the plethora of high-end labels. Forget the expensive cars on the highway. I know I’ve talked about how much more modern Shanghai is, but the way the some of the Chinese have torn up exhibitions and have cheated out of waiting in line, I can’t help but think: This is the China that I know. I just don't love their behavior.

No comments: