Feb 1, 2010

23rd Birthday

生日快乐!That’s Chinese for happy birthday! And my recent birthday was really nice. I was so happy to receive the ecards, emails and facebook postings. So I thought I would share my birthday over here with all my NYAFC readers... Even if it is almost a week later.

I would like to think that this has been more like birth week. I’ve had all kinds of special treats and a few good dinners. Celebrating my birthday in China has been a bit different than at home, but also very similar. My “中国家人,” or Chinese family, took me to dinner on my birthday. Ellen, the one who made me eat cicadas, was really cute. She was excited to celebrate my birthday and that Friday before my birthday to made sure my plans were secured with her and her family. I enjoy Ellen’s company, but she is so young and naive. And she’s set that this year I will “wed” and soon after give birth to a baby girl who will marry my roommate Eva’s son. Keep in mind that neither of us are married, Eva doesn’t even have a boyfriend and that she and I both have both vehemently expressed to Ellen that not every girl wants to be married and with a baby by 25.

And I have digressed. Anyway, the evening was really nice and involved lots of eating, talking and gift giving. Ellen’s family invited along some family friends, I guess to let them hang out with the foreigner as well. I didn’t mind. I got some nice (and I am quite possibly second-hand gifts). With cake, food and new friends I was happy. And then Ellen surprised me with a gift that she didn’t want to know her parents to know she had gotten me. She presented the gifts telling me that she wanted me to be a “flower fairy of all seasons.” Then she gave me two sets of earrings (representing summer and fall), a necklace (representing winter) and a ring representing spring... All of course with a floral theme. She was so proud of the gifts and I could tell she had spent a lot, especially for a Chinese high school student. I was touched by her generosity and creativeness... How many of you can say you’ve put that much thought into a gift? I don’t think I have.

My 23rd birthday was relatively uneventful (compared to say, my 21st birthday), but it was perfect for me. I didn’t eat noodles on my birthday, which are customary to eat and represent a long life, so I hope I make it through till 24. And while I was sad to be away from those I love, I was happy to spend a quiet night with another “family.”

No comments: